DR. CALDWELL

Dr. David Caldwell was the second owner of the plantation, purchasing it in 1833 from his father-in-law William Davidson. Caldwell and his wife Harriet lived at Rosedale with their eight children and a large household. The doctor operated Rosedale as a subsistence plantation and made an income through a variety of sources, including his medical practice, stock in a gold mine, and through the hiring out of his slaves. In 1837 the doctor devised a plan to take in boarding students who would attend the newly-expanded Sugar Creek classical academy located on the grounds of Sugar Creek Presbyterian Church. Come and see the original French wallpaper with graffiti from the boys who boarded at the Caldwell home.